Thursday, December 10, 2009

Propaganda.

So I was digging through my DVD collection today, and uncovered a gem. I had recently watched "The September Issue", a documentary on Vogue magazine and Anna Wintour on the making of the September 2007 issue. Fascinating by the way, worth a viewing.

I stumbled across "The Devil Wears Prada", and took a good look at this supposed lighthearted romantic comedy.

I take huge issue with this movie. The whole message reads as "career women are inherently self-obsessed and evil". It is essentially a cautionary tale, scaring women into early, submissive relationships. Or, even worse, furthering the opinion that women aren't meant to be the demanding smart overlords in business that they should be. Not only that, it depicts gay men in the same light.

I take issue with this because I have always been career driven. I've always had a goal in mind (engineer in nyc), and movies like this are trying to convince me that I am being selfish by thinking this way. I've subconsciously never given a second thought to anyone who would deviate from my future goals, so according to this movie, does that make be a bad person?

I refuse to think that. Flat out disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment